Please see here for a PDF for a copy of our latest correspondence to the Metrolinx Board for their September 2017 meeting. Please note that copies of all letters/emails sent to the Metrolinx Board are added to the official minutes of the Board meeting and acknowledged by the Chair before the meeting starts.
Our September 2017 letter covered the following topics that were mentioned in the Board report:
- Metrolinx 2017-18 Business Plan: Kitchener Corridor Expansion and Freight Bypass;
- Capital Projects Group Quarterly Report;
- Off-Peak GO Train Service;
- The Next Regional Transportation Plan (RTP): Draft Plan for Public Consultation; and
- Hurontario LRT (HuLRT)
Our letter for the June 2017 meeting is here. Topics included:
- Brampton-Halton Freight Rail Bypass (BHFRB) for the CN Rail Halton Subdivision;
- Off-Peak GO Train Service;
- Bramalea GO Station Revitalization;
- Naming of the Hurontario LRT (HuLRT) LRVs;
- High-Speed Rail (HSR); and
- Thank you
Our letter for the June 2016 meeting is here.
- Expanded GO Train Service for the Kitchener Corridor
A key note of the is letter is that it was jointly signed by a number of organizations in Brampton and along the Kitchener Corridor.
We noticed some media coverage of a City of Mississauga staff report on transit for our southerly neighbourhood. We enjoy reading transit reports and ones with maps. The main report is over 40 pages but the transit portion is just 13 of those pages so we’ve pulled them into a separate PDF. Download or view a copy here.
There is an public Open House for the Waterloo Region ION LRT (#wrLRT) on Saturday April 8th. It’ll be a great chance to see what LRT looks like in an Ontario context. The first of fourteen Light Rail Vehicles (LRVs) will be on display. Exciting. We’ll be there!
(Photo credit: @Canardiain)
The next GO Transit Regional Express Rail and electrification meeting will take place in Brampton on November 14.
Monday, November 14, 2016
Bramalea Secondary School
510 Balmoral Dr.
Brampton, ON L6T 1W4
Meeting time: 6:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. / Presentation: 7:00 p.m.
Official Notice: http://bit.ly/GORERNovemberNotice
Please see here to view the presentation from the spring 2016 public meeting: http://bit.ly/GORERSpring16
Below are a few media articles and columns after Brampton Council voted against the Hurontario-Main LRT (HMLRT) and the Provincial funding that went with it. The HMLRT was funded through the Province’s Moving Ontario Forward Fund.
In the Fall of 2016, we understand a few Councillors in Hamilton have raised the question of what would happen to the funding offered by the Province if they said no to the Hamilton LRT project.
- LORINC: Spend Brampton LRT money on Queen’s Quay East – Spacing.ca, November 2, 2015 (LINK, PDF)
- Brampton should not count on LRT funding, says minister – Toronto Star, November 3, 2015 (LINK, PDF)
- Brampton Turns Down Free Money for the LRT – insauga.com, November 4, 2015 (LINK, PDF)
- New openness has region eyeing more public transit funds – Kitchener Waterloo Record, November 26, 2015 (LINK, PDF)
- Toronto makes a pitch for rejected HMLRT cash – Brampton Guardian, December 10, 2015 (LINK, PDF)
- Toronto asks for Brampton transit cash – Toronto Sun, December 10, 2015
In addition, here is a list of all the Metrolinx Regional Transportation Plan (aka the “Big Move”) projects and where they stand in terms of study completeness and funding.
Here is a report showing that over $28 billion is still required to funding proposed lines on the Big Move map.