Below are a few media articles and columns after Brampton Council voted against the Hurontario-Main LRT (HMLRT) and the Provincial funding that went with it. The HMLRT was funded through the Province’s Moving Ontario Forward Fund.
In the Fall of 2016, we understand a few Councillors in Hamilton have raised the question of what would happen to the funding offered by the Province if they said no to the Hamilton LRT project.
- LORINC: Spend Brampton LRT money on Queen’s Quay East – Spacing.ca, November 2, 2015 (LINK, PDF)
- Brampton should not count on LRT funding, says minister – Toronto Star, November 3, 2015 (LINK, PDF)
- Brampton Turns Down Free Money for the LRT – insauga.com, November 4, 2015 (LINK, PDF)
- New openness has region eyeing more public transit funds – Kitchener Waterloo Record, November 26, 2015 (LINK, PDF)
- Toronto makes a pitch for rejected HMLRT cash – Brampton Guardian, December 10, 2015 (LINK, PDF)
- Toronto asks for Brampton transit cash – Toronto Sun, December 10, 2015
In addition, here is a list of all the Metrolinx Regional Transportation Plan (aka the “Big Move”) projects and where they stand in terms of study completeness and funding.
Here is a report showing that over $28 billion is still required to funding proposed lines on the Big Move map.