In December 2015 the Ministry of Transportation suspended its work on the Environmental Assessment of the GTA West highway. This was done in order to, among other things, ensure the project still aligns with recent changes in government policy in the region — such as Regional Express Rail.
An Advisory Panel has been established to conduct a strategic assessment of potential alternative approaches to meeting future transportation demand and infrastructure needs for passenger and goods movement in the GTA West Corridor.
The Panel welcomes feedback, in particular on the following questions based on the panel’s Terms of Reference:
- How is your organization planning for the introduction and adoption of new technologies, such as autonomous vehicles and electric vehicles, and how do you think they may change travel and transit demand in the Greater Toronto Area?
- How does your organization foresee car-sharing services, such as Uber, influencing travel and transit demand in the Greater Toronto Area?
- How do you foresee recent Provincial policy directions, such as Moving Ontario Forward, Climate Change Strategy and Action Plan, and the Coordinated Review of Provincial Plans, impacting the Environmental Assessment recommendations including the GTA West Corridor?
- Are there other infrastructure improvements that could be made to address goods movement in the Greater Toronto Area?
- Are there any other recent studies related to other infrastructure that are relevant?
- Should the GTA West Corridor be protected for other transportation needs?
- What are your views on the appropriate path forward for the Environmental Assessment?